Sunday, October 6, 2013

Homemade Coconut Milk


Homemade Coconut Milk.

I've been using coconut milk in my cooking, for quite sometime now. Since we had Carys tested for allergies, and she tested positive for a Dairy Allergy! So I had to incorporate new cooking methods, so Carys can eat. We tried many different forms of milk substitutes, and wasted many too, to which many she wouldn't entertain. We ended up using and still use, 'Rice Dream' - Rice Milk &  'So Delicious' - Coconut Milk. Although, Carys doesn't drink as much as she should, I am trying every day to get her to drink the coconut milk.

Carys, is now able to have small increments of, Dairy. Woo-hoo right! But guess what she doesn't like it.
Which brings me back to having to use coconut or rice milk. The cost is not the cheapest, and now I wanted to find a cheaper, but still healthy way of making coconut milk.

I searched the internet, as you do! And I found a site called,  'Crunchy Betty'  which made coconut milk from shredded coconut using hot water and a food processor.

I tried it!! It is so rich and delicious. It only takes the basics of ingredients.

I bought 'Let's do it', Organic Shredded Coconut  & Organic Flakes from 'Whole Foods'  rough cost was about $3.30 each

Making Fresh Yummy Coconut Milk.
By freckles.


Measure 3/4 cup of shredded coconut & 1/2 cup of coconut flakes


Put your coconut into a blender or processor, add 2 cups of boiling water. And Pulse for 1 minute, then let it sit for another minute, pulse again. Repeat.


In this picture, you can see, that the water has been absorbed by the coconut.


Next take your strainer and dump your coconut in it, and strain well, pressing out all that, yummy goodness. Next put the pressed coconut back into the blender and add another cup boiling water, and repeat the previous steps. Strain again. I did this process 3 times.



This is what the milk looks like, once your finished. I made 3 cups of milk, using only 1 cup total of coconut! 



When the milk settles, you will find that the coconut cream will sit on top, just like regular full fat milk, you get that luscious cream :) To use the milk, just give it a good shake and you're good to go.  I store my milk in a glass container, and in the fridge. What do you do with the left over used coconut -
Try this, mixing it with coconut oil for a hand scrub, or make some macaroons or just eat it ...all ways, seem a great way to utilize every last bit of coconut!

Here is my Fresh Homemade Coconut Milk.


I must say that this freshly made coconut milk is so healthy and easy to make. From now on I will, make fresh coconut milk and use it in all my cooking and baking. My next cooking project will be to make coconut butter...mmm Yum!

You can watch a video tutorial to make coconut milk  HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts