Thursday, October 17, 2019

Christmas Movie Costume Party

Yes, I know the title says Christmas Movie Costume Party and its still October. But, this year instead of me and Jason hosting our Ugly Sweater party, I thought I'd mix it up a little ;) and I needed to get a head start with planning and of course then the costume.

So, MOVIE CHARACTER THEME popped into my head.  
Above is one of my fav's - Pretty in Pink :)

Then for the next few hours, I, Ashton, Seren and Carys has a blast thinking who'd be like to be. Mind you Seren and Carys' costumes were for Halloween, as the Christmas party is for us older people lol

Ashton was quick off the mark who how she wanted to be and as my last blog post says, she's going as Phantom of the Opera for Halloween and the Christmas party. Then Carys said she was going to be Christine, then Seren followed with can we look at costumes lol

Me, well, figuring what I wanted to go as proved harder lol I knew I wanted to be in a girly costume but what. I love the 80's movies and vampire movies, but a lot of those outfits weren't what I was looking for.

 Take Aaliyah from Queen of the Damned and the hot Stewart Townsender...not wearing that lol Maybe if I was still 18 lol Ash and I went back and forth. I didn't want to be a superhero either.

Then the movie Labyrinth popped up and I knew exactly what I was going to go as - and no, it isn't David Bowie's character - Goblin king lol

I'm going as Jennifer Connolly's, character Sarah from Labyrinth and not in her jeans and top, but the ball scene where she wears that amazing totally 80's massive puff sleeves and dances with the Goblin King :)

Jason decided against going as the Goblin King - can you guess why lol Might be the tight pants, wig, and make-up lol

Instead, Jason decided to go as Indiana Jones :) 

Then came the Google process again and finding the dress. Now, I know there was no way I would find one just like the one above but I would try my best. I found one close enough on this site; I waited with bated breath until the dress arrived. Now, I had ginger hair! Sarah has brown! So...... I purchased a wig from amazon.  Knowing all too well, I'd have to transform that long wig into how Sarah wear's hers.

The dress and wig came. :) This is the dress I bought. Not quite like the real thing right.

ASHTON MODELING IT :) Look at those sleeves!! Massive.

The dress was too long for me - that's what I get for being short lol and where the darts were on the bodice the organza had already pulled away :( BUT it didn't matter. I was going to take it all apart anyway and make it my own. And that's what I did. But first I had to find a match for the organza and the Casa bodice fabric that matched the skirt part of the dress. and worked great and I found the fabric I needed for a great price. I also picked up some ribbon, boning and lots of beading and applique for the bodice.

I unpicked the bodice from the skirt and sleeves from the bodice. And this is what It looked like. Then I used the original as my pattern. I laid it on my fabric and cut two sets. Outer and lining.

Below is the new bodice I made with the sleeves reattached. 

I used boning at the top of the bodice.

I then got to work, adding beads to the applique. I found bracelets that I used.

This is what I ended up sewing on to the bodice. I also added more beads and made fabric rosettes to add to it
Here is what it looked like after hours of hand sewing :) I also nipped and tucked the sleeves so they weren't as massive and added a gathered ribbon.

The skirt was easy. I shortened it from the waist by two inches, then made a waistband with hook and eye to close it. I added extra tulle under the skirt and a length of organza to the front where I hiked it up, making it look like Sarah's. I added a fabric rosette and beads.

The finished costume. It was once a whole dress and is now a separate bodice and skirt :) Which, I'll model when it's time for our Christmas party :) Wig and all.

Now - the wig.

I transformed the straight wig into this by back-combing and lots of Hairspray and pins. Not as full as the characters, but close enough. Then I began to attempt the hair decoration.

The head decoration. 

Lots of wire and using a plyers to bend and shape into something that resembled the original.

Testing as I went. Needless at this point it was too big lol
Once I was happy how it looked on the wig, I literally dripped hot glue onto the wire to thicken it and for it to hold its shape. Then sprayed it. Then added sprayed leaves and ribbon.

And the finished wig. 

It did turn out bigger than I expected, but it didn't matter and besides, I wasn't going to  make another lol


Popular Posts